Concerto in tempi (accordion and cello quartet)
Instrumentation of the work Concerto in tempi (accordion and piano, second edition) by Martin Lohse
Concerto in tempi for accordion and cello quartet (sample)
Studio-recording made by samples Vienna Symphonic Library
The work is orchestrated in 5 versions.
Concerto in tempi
Arrangement for accordion and cello quartet of Concerto in tempi (2010, revised 2012) dedicated to Bjarke Mogensen and David Lau Magnussen.
duration: 11 min.
Concerto in tempi is about time, both slow and fast, and laid as layers on top of each other:
Long themes and small motifs, in different time signatures and tempos, swirle between each other and blend into a texture of voices that slowly change and ebb away, just like the pure coloured light from a glass mosaic in a church as darkness falls.
A musical technique where different layers of music in individual tempos, metric and musical style are combined in a simple pattern of chords, which slowly modulate through all the keys in a newer ending sequence, creating a music with no or very few dissonances.
I've developed the technique by combining different musical methods used in older works.
- Use of multiple layers of music, which have been a important part of my music since 2000.
- A simple repeating sequence of chords as the only harmonic material in the piece, which creates a music on the move, in a never ending modulation from the start to the end.
Used in works like Haiku (1999), In liquid... (2003) and Image balancantes (2004).
- A 'rhythm across harmony' principle, where different together sounding motives are played in individual tempos across the rhythm of the chords.
First used in Smoke (2000) and developed as a technique in Liebestraum (Liszt arrangement from 2005), and later used in 8 momenti mobile (2008) before it finally evolved to the technique used in Moto immoto (2009-10) and in this work.
Martin Lohse 2012
Concerto in tempi handler om tid, både langsom og hurtig og lagt som lag ovenpå hinanden: Lange temaer og små motiver, i forskellige taktarter og tempoer hvirvler rundt mellem hinanden og blandes sammen i et væv af stemmer der langsomt forandres og ebber ud, ligesom det rene farvede lys fra en glasmosaik i en kirke, efterhånden som mørket falder på.
Martin Lohse 2012
List of orchestral music
- Magma (2001)
- Awakening (2002)
- In remembrance... (violin concerto) (2008)
- Den Standhaftige Tinsoldat (2004)
- Ember (sinfonietta) (2008)
- In liquid... (accordion concerto, first version) (2008)
- In liquid... (accordion concerto, second version) (2008/2010)
- In liquid... (accordion concerto, string orchestra) (2008/2010/2019)
- Concerto in tempi (accordion and string orchestra or string quintet) (2010/2012)
- Moto immoto (symphony orchestra, second edition) (2009/2018)
- Moto immoto (sinfonietta) (2009/2016)
- Collage de temps (piano and sinfonietta) (2013)
- Collage de temps (piano duo) (2013)
- Lurid Light (1998)
- Concerto in G (recorder and baroque strings) (2018)
- Symphony in one movement (2020)
- Transition (accordion and orchestra) (2022)
- Transition (symphony orchestra) (2022)
- Recall (small sinfonietta) (1968/1977/2015)