Concerto in tempi (accordion and piano, second edition)
Chamber work by Martin Lohse
Concerto in tempi for accordion and piano (sample)
Studio-recording made by samples Vienna Symphonic Library
The work is orchestrated in 5 versions.
Concerto in tempi
Second version dedicated to Bjarke Mogensen and David Lau Magnussen.
duration: 11 min.
Concerto in tempi is about time, both slow and fast, and laid as layers on top of each other:
Long themes and small motifs, in different time signatures and tempos, swirle between each other and blend into a texture of voices that slowly change and ebb away, just like the pure coloured light from a glass mosaic in a church as darkness falls.
A musical technique where different layers of music in individual tempos, metric and musical style are combined in a simple pattern of chords, which slowly modulate through all the keys in a newer ending sequence, creating a music with no or very few dissonances.
I've developed the technique by combining different musical methods used in older works.
- Use of multiple layers of music, which have been a important part of my music since 2000.
- A simple repeating sequence of chords as the only harmonic material in the piece, which creates a music on the move, in a never ending modulation from the start to the end.
Used in works like Haiku (1999), In liquid... (2003) and Image balancantes (2004).
- A 'rhythm across harmony' principle, where different together sounding motives are played in individual tempos across the rhythm of the chords.
First used in Smoke (2000) and developed as a technique in Liebestraum (Liszt arrangement from 2005), and later used in 8 momenti mobile (2008) before it finally evolved to the technique used in Moto immoto (2009-10) and in this work.
Martin Lohse 2012
Concerto in tempi handler om tid, både langsom og hurtig og lagt som lag ovenpå hinanden: Lange temaer og små motiver, i forskellige taktarter og tempoer hvirvler rundt mellem hinanden og blandes sammen i et væv af stemmer der langsomt forandres og ebber ud, ligesom det rene farvede lys fra en glasmosaik i en kirke, efterhånden som mørket falder på.
Martin Lohse 2012
List of orchestral music
- Magma (2001)
- Awakening (2002)
- In remembrance... (violin concerto) (2008)
- Den Standhaftige Tinsoldat (2004)
- Ember (sinfonietta) (2008)
- In liquid... (accordion concerto, first version) (2008)
- In liquid... (accordion concerto, second version) (2008/2010)
- In liquid... (accordion concerto, string orchestra) (2008/2010/2019)
- Concerto in tempi (accordion and string orchestra or string quintet) (2010/2012)
- Moto immoto (symphony orchestra, second edition) (2009/2018)
- Moto immoto (sinfonietta) (2009/2016)
- Collage de temps (piano and sinfonietta) (2013)
- Collage de temps (piano duo) (2013)
- Lurid Light (1998)
- Concerto in G (recorder and baroque strings) (2018)
- Symphony in one movement (2020)
- Transition (accordion and orchestra) (2022)
- Transition (symphony orchestra) (2022)
- Concerto piccolo (accordion concerto) (2023)
- Recall (small sinfonietta) (1968/1977/2015)